- An amazing surveillance recording system with durable, water resistant casing & battery powered portability can operate in weather conditions & temperatures down to -4°F or -20°C*
- A day or night camera & DVR allows you to record clear photos with the 12 Megapixel camera or HD 1080p videos at 15 frames per second, with powerful night vision up to 50ft/15m. Track the exact recording time with day, time & moon phase stamping
- Record thousands of photos & hundreds of videos to SD card^ (up to 32GB), then transfer files to computer for easy uploading to your favorite websites such as YouTube, Facebook etc or view on your digital camera
- Set & forget with long lasting battery operation (uses 4 x AA^ for standard use or 8 x AA^ for extended operating time) & motion triggered recording for extended monitoring over several months+
- Keep a lookout in remote areas with portability by mounting to trees, posts or flat surfaces to monitor farm or wild animals, or capture unwanted behavior such as trespassing, vandalism, dumping trash & more
Caught On Camera!
The Outback Cam captures a kangaroo munching on some grass on broad day light. The camera allows users to turn on information stamping, such as time, date and temperature, as seen on the photo below.
"Swann’s OutbackCam is a great tool to monitor outdoor areas, whether it’s for animal or human movement; whether it’s night or day." eTeknixeTeknix (UK) | Swann OutbackCam 12MP Outdoor Photo & Video Camera Review (Mar 2017)
DetailsSpecificationsImage SensorCMOSEffective Pixels2560 x 1920 (5.0 Megapixels)Day/Night ModeColor during day / B&W at nightMinimum Illumination0 Lux (IR on)Lens3.6mmViewing Angle62 degreesRecordingVideo FormatAVIVideo Resolution1920 x 1080 pixelsVideo Frame Rate15 fpsVideo Recording Duration1 ~ 60 secondsStill Image FormatJPEGStill Image Resolution5, 8 or 12 MegapixelsMultiple Still Image CaptureYes (up to 7 photos per trigger)Image OverlaysDate / Moon PhaseRecord Delay Range5 seconds ~ 10 minutesNight VisionNight Vision DistanceUp to 50ft / 15mNumber of Infra-Red LEDs40IR Cut FilterYesGeneralOperating PowerBattery 6V, DC 12VBattery Type4 or 8 x AA^Indoor/OutdoorOutdoorMemory Type and SizeSD Card up to 32GBLanguageEnglishSensor TypePIR (Passive Infrared)Sensor RangeUp to 50ft/15mSensor Trigger Speed< 1 secondOperating Temperature4 degrees F - 104 degrees F
-20 degrees C - 40 degrees CDimensions3.9" (L) x 3.0" (W) x 5.2" (H) / 98mm x 77mm x 131mmWeight0.66lbs / 300g
- What's Included
• OutbackCam™ 12MP Camera
• Tree Mounting Strap
• USB Cable
• Operating Instructions
Customer Reviews 4 item(s)
- Great Cam pity about battery life
Further to the previous reviewer's grizzle the 19/21 switch determines the strength of the infrared illumination, 19 or 40 leds. It is a great camera but VERY heavy on battery life. A full set of AAs lasted about one day with the camera triggering continuously on waving branches (filled a 32Gb card before dying). Fine if your wildlife aren't outdoors. JayCar sells the plug to use an external power supply. I'd suggest using that for total coverage of more that 36 hours. The black plastic bits look like they'll get brittle with extended outdoor exposure. In sunlight the menu options can be hard to read.
Response from Swann: Thanks for your review, you can add another set of batteries to extend the recording time (you may have already tried it). Here's a link to a training video that may be useful: User Training Videos - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFLR9IWj3TYQP1hz7wjV93HYmvovGhnlr
- Good, shame about the on/off switch
Pictures are very good, my only negative comment would be that you cannot turn the camera on/off once the back is attached, which means you end up with photos of yourself while strapping it to a handy tree
- Citizen science vs the sofatech!
I bought this camera to help educate my children and show them the comings and goings just feet from their iPad/Playstation/mobile phone perches (aka the sofa), if only they chose to stop and watch for long enough! Very easy to use, great quality and exactly the eye opening bit of technology they needed.
- Very Good - but...
This is a good solid piece of kit. It is only let down by the quality of the user manual. For example there are two switches on the device which are not described in any detail. They are the 19/40 switch and the GPS switch. The manual tells you no more than that the GPS is not available on this model (why have a switch?) and the 19/40 switch is called the 19/40 switch (very revealing). As to the device itself, it could be improved with an external on/off switch as quite often that's all you want to get at and taking the back off to do just this is annoying.
The quality of pictures is very good. The battery life seems ok, although the first set i put in it died in about 10 mins. They may have been stale (although well within their best by date). I note there is a 12v socket in the base (which gets in the way of a tripod mounting) and I assume Swann have a dedicated adapter for this (not supplied and not advertised).
So all in all a good piece of kit which I would recommend (perhaps a bit pricey).
- Product Downloads
- Where to Buy